This coffee cake takes your typical brunch treat and adds a healthy twist that will make all of your guests happy.
This recipe can be easily adapted to suit many different wellness diets - including gluten-free, dairy-free, and low-carb or keto - but your sweet-toothed friends won’t notice the difference.
Nutritional Benefits of Collagen Coffee Cake
Our collagen coffee cake recipe takes a functional food approach that suits a variety of special diets. Let’s review a few of the benefits in store:
Collagen for healthy skin, hair, and nails
Thanks to a few scoops of collagen protein, this coffee cake provides the specific amino acids to help support your body’s collagen production. If you’re really looking to maximize your collagen intake, we recommend enjoying this collagen coffee cake alongside a second dose of collagen - try stirring a scoop into coffee, smoothies, or any other liquid.
Vitamin E & Minerals to meet your daily needs
This cake contains more micronutrients (i.e., vitamins and minerals) than the average cake since it incorporates the nutritional benefits of almonds via almond meal and almond butter. You’ll find more vitamin E, calcium, magnesium, and manganese than you would in a standard wheat-based flour.
You’ll find only naturally gluten-free ingredients in this recipe, like almond flour. For anyone avoiding gluten, this cake serves as a tasty baked good.
For health as well as environmental reasons, many people are hopping on the dairy-free train. Make this recipe completely free of dairy by opting for vegan or non-dairy butter.
This coffee cake aligns with a low-carbohydrate diet if you choose the sugar-free granulated sweetener options. Filling fats in the form of butter, coconut oil, and almond butter provide keto-friendly energy sources and help you meet your fat goals.
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup granulated sweetener (sugar, sugar-free granulated blend, etc.)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. butter, room temperature (or non-dairy butter substitute)
- 3 cups almond flour
- ¾ cup granulated sweetener (sugar, sugar-free granulated blend, etc.)
- 2 scoops collagen protein powder
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup butter, room temperature (or non-dairy butter substitute)
- ½ cup almond butter
- Preheat the oven to 325. Prepare a square pan (8 in x 8 in) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ingredients to make cinnamon crumble (almond flour, sweetener, cinnamon, butter). Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix cake ingredients until well combined.
- In the square pan, pour half of the cake batter. Then sprinkle evenly with half of the cinnamon crumble. Pour the remaining ½ of cake batter on top, followed by the remaining half of the crumble.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean after inserted).
- Let cool slightly, then enjoy!
Pro Tips for Enjoying Collagen Coffee Cake
- Store slices in the freezer in a sealable bag or Tupperware for mornings when you’re in a rush. Simply defrost in the microwave for 30-45 seconds then enjoy.
- For added decadence, serve with freshly whipped cream on top (store-bought works, too!)